Barefoot beach

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

It's raining, it's pouring, the old streets are falling

Not all adventures in paradise are sunshiney and fun. For the last two days, St. Kitts has fallen victim to a Tropical Wave, and it has been pouring down rain nonstop. The power has gone out a few times, the internet has gone out a couple times. Awesome.  I've been stuck in the house, and at first I was super bummed. Then I saw these photos:









These photos are of a street in Basseterre, our capital "city," although, large village is probably a more appropriate term.  There are also several ghauts across the island. These are streets or drains that are supposed to channel water safely away from the towns and villages. The problem is, several of them are also roads or cross major roads. This means driving down or across a raging torrent of water. It seems like a sewer system may be worth looking into. 

Perhaps leaving in eight days, before hurricane season is in full swing, is not such a bad idea. On a positive note, there has been so much rain, our pool turned itself into an infinity pool! Now all I need is the sunshine to come back so I can get IN the pool!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Stephanie, my name is Erin and my husband is applying to go to Ross Vet School. I've only had the chance to read your most recent 2-3 posts, but I gather that you are also the wife of a student there at Ross? Would you be able to give me any advice about being the spouse of a student in a foreign country? Nobody seems to have that sort of information. Like about married student housing, work opportunities, residency/work visas... etc etc. My real email address is erilcree@ut.utm.edu. I know you are getting ready to move and preparing for a baby, but I would appreciate any information you could send so much! --Erin Chesnut

    ReplyDelete