Barefoot beach

Sunday, May 27, 2012

SK v. USA

This here is a throw down between St. Kitts and good ol' America. Being home for two weeks has brought some discrepancies, both large and small, between SK and the USA to my attention. Some differences are nice, some are annoying.

Weather
Win- St. Kitts
The temperature in the ATL has been about 5-10 degrees hotter than it's been in St. Kitts since I've been here. It was 94 degrees the other day! GROSS. Also, I have no delightful ocean breeze in Johns Creek, Georgia. Stagnant, hot weather. Bleh.
Note- The sun sets in St. Kitts around 6:30, which is lame. Today the sun is set to... set at 8:40 pm. Two extra hours of sunlight! That's pretty awesome, but not awesome enough for the win.

Food
Win- USA
There are so many reasons why the US wins- lower cost, wider variety, freshness, I don't get covered in bacon liquid from a ripped package (that has happened to me more than once at IGA in St Kitts).  I bought a mango at my regular grocery store for a dollar yesterday (and yes it was imported from somewhere in the tropics). This is especially ridiculous, since mangos can be grown for a large market in St. Kitts, but no. It's clearly much easier to import tropical fruit from other islands and charge a butt load of money for crappy, bruised, over ripe fruit. (Shakes head). However, the real reason USA wins this category- PIZZA. I f*ing LOVE pizza (excuse the language, I'm passionate). Let me be clear though. I do not love all pizza. I rather starve than eat crap pizza. I have eaten pizza about, actually, I am not gonna say how many times I've eaten pizza since I've been home. I'd just embarrass myself.

Driving/Cars/Roads
Tie
So, really the entire driving situation is crappy in both countries. The US has WAY better roads and better, safer, newer cars, but it also has AWFUL traffic. AWFUL. Also, everything is so far away in the states. It takes me equal time to get from house to grocery store in SK and the USA. This is a bit absurd since in SK the store is on the other side of the island (and the other side of the country), and in the US the store butts up against my neighborhood. So, the better roads and cars of the US tie St. Kitts for lack of traffic. And traffic lights. I now hate traffic lights. Everything should have circles!!!

Scenery
Win- St. Kitts
This is soley based on where I have been on this trip, and the type of scenery I personally prefer. Which is the beach/ocean. The view from my back deck in Half Moon Bay is the ocean. Completely uninterrupted panoramic ocean view. The view from my parents back deck- their pie shaped yard, some trees, and our two neighbor's houses. I like the backyard, don't get my wrong, but I rather stare at the beach than pine trees.  Now, when I was in NY/NJ/Philly I did have several views of the water. However, gross heavily used ports are not exactly the same as crystal clear waters of the tropics. Yeah, I wish I was laying on Shipwreck beach right now...

Sites to See
Win- Egypt
Ok, ok, I know Egypt is not one of the official contenders, but it wins as a write in. St. Kitts has the beach and Brimstone. The USA has loads of fun stuff I don't feel like naming. BUT Egypt has all kinds of amazing things- things that both St. Kitts and the USA has AND MORE. St. Kitts has the beach and the fort (as I said)- but so does Egypt. The Red Sea is a HUGE tourist destination for snorkeling, scuba, and all kinds of other water sports. The Citadel in Egypt is also way bigger and more badass than Brimstone (it even includes a Military museum that is not at all accurate when it comes to battles between Egypt and Israel). Compared to the US, Egypt has big cities, lots of natural wonders (like Wadi el-Hitan and the White Desert, to name very few), and really... can any country compare to Egypt when it comes to historical sites? The answer is No. Stop thinking, nothing compares. NOTHING!!!!

People
Tie
This is a tricky one. Here is the states I have my family and lots of old friends. I really love all these people. However, all these people have jobs. So I am pretty bored during the day. While my friends and "St. Kitts family" are newer to my life, most of them are VIPs like me, and are also jobless. This means I ALWAYS have someone to hang out with. I am a social girl, I like being with people. Fun people. Everyone I know in SK is fun! I currently miss them as much as I miss my American friends and family when I am down there.

Rob
Win- St. Kitts
Clearly my access to Rob is non-existent here in the USA. That is not ok. I miss him like crazy, and I still have about 26 days til I see him again. How would you like to be away from your partner and best friend for 6 weeks? It's the worst. 

All in all, St. Kitts has it's pros and cons and so does the USA. I miss the laid back lifestyle in St. Kitts, but I love the convenience (and pizza) of the being in the states. Oh, and being away from Rob = Sad face.


No comments:

Post a Comment